Tuesday, July 21, 2009

sipping on history


Back in the day.. before I was even thought of, before even Jason, my oldest brother was born (he'll be 30 this year.. that's weird), my parent's lived in a small town in the country called Graham. Brandon's grandparents live in Graham, and that is where his mom grew up.

When we made that connection, that my parents knew many of the people his family knows, I decided that I wanted to know where my parents lived.

Brandon and I have made a trip before to find their old house and made it to the neighborhood, but we didn't know which house. When my parents were in town a few weeks ago, I asked again if they knew their address because I was curious. Being the high-tech people that we are, my mom pulled out her iPhone and found the top of the house using the satellite on the maps function by "driving" herself from town to their house and was able to get the street name.

Today I was in Bowie for work and on my way back home, I decided to go try to find the house. I called my mom and she gave me a description of what the house looked like from the outside when they lived there. The key feature that gave the house away was the 3 arches in the front.

So mom and dad, I hope you enjoy the house you used to live in, 49 Springwood Drive. It's now baby blue with a brand new asphalt driveway!

1 comment:

  1. It appears to have held up very well. We were the first owners and didn’t have near as green a yard. When we lived there it had white brick and brown trim. It even looks like the sidewalk your dad poured is still there. When we bought it there was a funky curved sidewalk to the middle archway – even though the door was in the far right archway. They’ve also added a fence, but you can see from the size of the lot why we ‘needed’ a Kubota ;-) It was a great first house even if none of you kids ever got to live there – 3 bedrooms/1.5 bath/ with the washer and dryer in the one car garage, but a sweet u shaped kitchen with a giant window looking into the back yard. Brandon would have loved the carpet – perfect woodlands camouflage that was ugly for a house but would be perfect for his deer blind.

    ReplyDelete