Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Day in the Oilfield..

(Over a Year Ago)
So, I was flipping through the nearly 180 pictures on my phone the other day and I found so many that I had forgotten about. That's where this post originated. Last January, I was busy making last minute changes to what I wanted my hair to look like for the wedding, going to showers, and getting ready for my bridal portrait session--I can't believe that was a year ago! While I was busy planning our wedding, B was busy working at a fairly new job.

He worked in Snyder, TX for a year as an accountant at a big publicly traded drilling company where he learned that corporate America was not his cup of tea, neither was sitting behind a desk with the same schedule and tasks every month. But it was a learning experience for him, one that he had to go through on his own and ultimately one that would benefit him in the future.

So a year ago in November, B started a new job with a crude oil marketing company here in town (Thank God I didn't have to move to Snyder) where he became their lease manager and the operations manager for the energy company that company also owned. This job has been a blessing to us in SO many ways. B and I were talking the other day about one of his friends (Wes) from the company he worked for in Snyder, who B still keeps up with and splits a deer lease with. Wes has a wife and a 3-year old and has been working for this company for years. Over the past 6 months, poor Wes has had to work 60, 70, even 80 hour weeks traveling (from Snyder) to Dallas--sometimes driving, sometimes on the company jet--and then working to make up all of the things he missed of his regular duties back in Snyder on the weekends.

I can't imagine B being gone that much.. and working that hard at a job he didn't like. That is just one of the things I'm so grateful for with his new job, and there are plenty more to go around, but I'll get to the pictures...

So last year, B had to run out to one of their leases on a Saturday morning because all of the wells need to be gauged everyday, and his pumper (who usually does this) was sick and in the hospital. Since it was a Saturday, B asked me if I wanted to go out there with him and I jumped at the offer. I mean, I wasn't getting out of the truck... but I thought it would be fun! It was about 18 degrees outside with a 20mph wind, another reason for not getting out of the truck.

So if you're interested in what B does all day, here's a little snippet... (all these photos were taken on my phone with no editing.. get it iPhone!)


Just a couple of tank batteries.. nothing in the oilfield is clean--no kidding, I didn't get out and I still got dirty


here is one of their smallest pump jacks.. just 1 of something like 53.


Here's B gauging one of the wells.. and probably freezing. I made sure to enjoy the heater and seat heater.


and here is that pump jack


Here's the pulling unit (i think).. all this equipment is hard to keep up with.. I do know that this one is named Yarby 1--after the guy who owns it


and here is the only evidence that I actually got out of the truck, but I was bribed with a Dr. Pepper. I took this picture because my mom had been begging me to send her a picture of B's new truck.. this is clean for his truck, you should see it on a regular basis.

So that's what my hubby does on a daily basis, but not really. He does all kinds of things that I couldn't even begin to talk about, because I know nothing about them. The main thing is that he LOVES his job, and he loves that he gets to be out in the field--normally in the country--just being a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment