Sunday, January 24, 2010

One down, One to go...

I mentioned something last week about the chairs I'm re-upholstering... and I also told you not to mention anything about how long it has been since I started them. I have good news though! One is finished!

I had to order the tack strips online because Hancocks in Abilene either can't keep them on their shelves, or they can't manage to get them in their shipments.

The other night B and I went to Lowe's to get a legit staple gun because the one I had wasn't cutting it and I had been recycling the old upholstery tacks I had taken off the chair.

When we got home, I got to work and it was finished in no time!


This is what the poor little chair has looked like for literally 6 months.. the main seating area was finished, but the edges and back were not complete.


Here it is now, edging and everything! This was just a quick photo I took before I had to get ready for Kanyon & Erica's wedding (more to come on that later), so sorry about the quality! In the middle is a pillow I made with my scrap fabric and brand new sewing skills! I don't have a pillow form for it yet, and I don't know if I'm actually going to use them, but I was in the mood to sew and I had that fabric on hand!


Here is a quick close up of the welting and bottom panel! I am so proud of myself, and I'm very happy with the result! Most of all, I love that these chairs came from my grandmother.

I love older furniture for its character and the stories that each piece has. Going to a furniture store and buying everything brand new is nice, but to me, you can't beat the character of these older pieces. I love putting the life back into the furniture, and knowing that it is unique and no one else has it!

So there's one. I didn't have time to take a picture of it before, but I haven't started the other and I will be sure to before I do!

3 comments:

  1. I’m so impressed and I know your Grandma K will be pleased. Your taking the time to really reupholster these classic chairs beats the heck out of my tuck-fold-staple treatment. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete