Monday, April 27, 2009

Catching you up

It seems like I encounter one of these just about every day now so I had to write about them. Horny Toads. They're sick. They are like little dinosaurs that scare me to death and somehow, every time I tell my mom about them being around our house she gets almost as excited about it as she would for the wedding. But all joking aside, these little devils live in our yard and I'm always on edge when I let Bridger out because they camouflage themselves so well I can't see them until they move.

I know what you're wondering, do they do anything to you? do they bite? Well, no. I honestly think they are more afraid of me than I am of them, and I'm not going to get close enough to one to try and see if it will bite me. I like a good distance of about 5-10 feet. I've tried to take a picture of one, but they always catch me off guard because I can't see them until they move, and then they just scurry off. I've told Brandon that our yard is infested with them, but since he hasn't seen one, I think he just thinks I'm over reacting.

Growing up in Houston, I heard about these things called horny toads only because my mom would tell us stories of how she used to catch them and play with them because they were everywhere. I also remember hearing that they were an endangered species. As I got older, I stopped hearing about them, so I guess I just concluded in my head that they were extinct. I learned otherwise about a year ago when one scurried out from under the basketball goal at Brandon's parents' house and Rilee almost ate it.

A couple of weeks ago one scurried in front of me when I was walking up the stairs to the apartment and I screamed as if someone was murdering me. (Bart remember that time you were in the shower and I screamed because of a cockroach and you came flying down the stairs barely holding your towel on because you thought someone was trying to kill me? yeah, it was like that). It just gives me the jitters to think about!

Lizards are one of the most frightening things in the world to me (Bart, I blame you--in fact, I blame at least one of my siblings for things that I don't like...) and horny toads are like lizards from Satan. I mean, they are supposedly something people in Texas are proud of.. you can get a license plate and everything. I don't understand, it's just gross. I found this website, you'll have to see it to believe it--and mom, please don't sign up. Click Here.

In other wildlife news, instead of housing a full-grown squirrel between the window and the screen of our kitchen apartment, we now have a big bird's nest. It belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Finch (I named them). I think if I would have cared about 3 weeks ago when they started their nest I would have had Brandon go up there and clean it out so they would move somewhere else, but now that they are so far along on their home, I can't just destroy all of their hard work. Besides, she should be laying eggs in the near future! :) We are all just one big happy family.. Bridger likes them too!

Brandon got this when he went out of town last week and he thinks it's hysterical. He put it on the fridge and wouldn't let me take it off..
Also, I have a new idea for all of our wedding pictures! I went to goodwill and bought all of this (besides the letters) for only $8. I know I only have one picture in them and I still need more, but you can get the idea! :)
Well, that's it for now.. Brandon and I are off to the West Texas Sports Hall of Fame induction this evening, and I need to get ready! (his boss, Ray, is getting inducted)

No comments:

Post a Comment