Friday, May 22, 2009

This Week

Well, it seems I've fallen behind on the subject of posting. The reason? My mom told me about this amazing story on another blog. I'm telling you, it's life changing. Ok, so maybe not, but I feel like I've been reading a book in the last week and I have an urge to talk about it. Seriously, yesterday I almost said, "In this book I've been reading..." how embarrassing that would have been if I had said it and then I would have to tell someone I was addicted to reading a blog.

Her name is Ree Drummond and her blog is The Pioneer Woman. The story I'm so addicted to is the love story of her and her husband meeting entitled "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels." She was a city girl by blood. She loved the lights, the sounds, the SHOPPING, the food, everything about city life. Her whole life, all she knew was this. She meets and falls in love with "Marlboro Man," a cowboy (now her husband, sound somewhat similar?) that lives on his family's ranch (now their ranch) over an hour "out in the boonies" from her parent's suburban golf course community. The story is thrilling and should seriously be a novel. I've considered printing every post out to put in a binder and pass around to friends like a book. She is a wonderful writer and I look forward to the little bit of free time I have to go read another post. I think I'm so into the story because a lot of it reminds me of Brandon and I, just for the main differences in our location of our upbringings.

I'm warning you, don't start reading unless you want to get hooked. Ree has a way of expressing every emotion each of them felt in such an exciting time in their lives. She'll often leave you with "to be continued.." and you can't help yourself but to hit the back button and go to the next post. Remember, if you decide to read this, you'll have to click on her "Love Story" and scroll to the bottom to read them in order.

Something else I've been up to? Well, you'll never guess it because I thought I would never see the day.. we got Brandon an iPhone and his life has been forever changed! Ok, seriously. It has been a long, slow process trying to transfer all of our things together and the cell phone thing has been the most difficult. You have to jump through so many fiery hoops and run across hot coals to change anything on your cell phone account if you are not the main person listed on the account--ask my mom, she had to conference my dad in the other day to talk to them on the phone about releasing my cell phone number. I think our biggest hassle of the whole ordeal was waiting on the upgrade. In Brandon's family, as with most, they don't pay attention to who's upgrade is available, it just gets used when someone needs a new phone. We tried to go before the wedding to switch everything over and they wouldn't let us transfer him off of his parents' account because there was no eligible upgrade (mind you Brandon's phone was a few years old--he never asks for anything). Even though we were going to sign a new contract and everything, it didn't matter. Because he wanted to keep his number, we had to wait (they wouldn't even let us pay full price for a phone).

The past month and a half we've been in a waiting period for the next available upgrade and FINALLY, we timed everything right! I didn't even mention how stressful a cell phone store is for my poor little country boy. We've seriously gone in there 4 times and had to leave because he would get so mad. He always says, "I just feel like they're trying to take my money!" Well, this is true, but not like he assumed. After careful explanation of all the plans in the privacy of our own car and home (it took me a while), he finally agreed to go in there and sit through it while we worked everything out! :) So yesterday, we showed up at the AT&T store and went through the whole process--I even convinced him to go ahead and get the bundle that included the protection plan, car charger and a free case. I was on a role so when it came time for us to hand over some money, I quickly pulled out my debit card and put in my pin, only telling him the total after I had hit "enter." Sneaky? yes, but had he known the total was $322, he probably would have backed out on the bundle.

After the AT&T store, we ran home to change clothes and I plugged his phone in to the computer to upload the address book I had already taken from his other phone the night before--I knew I had to make it as simple as possible so he would still move forward with it. I set up his email for him and got him ready to go! Then we went to a little league baseball game to watch his boss coach and his boss's third grade son pitch. After the game we joined them at the country club for dinner and conversation. It was fun and I think I might have a work out buddy now! His boss's wife is going to join the health club I am a member at (mind you I've been paying for this membership, but have not used it in months) and we are going to go workout together!

At dinner, Brandon pulled his phone out and said, "look what my wife made me get..." I smiled because the same thing had happened with his boss (who is Brandon's personality twin, just about 20 years older).

Last night, Brandon got in bed and laid there playing on his phone for about 45 min. I smiled, rolled over and went to sleep knowing he would never admit that he had wanted an iPhone and was excited about having it. :)

Sorry mom, there isn't a picture of both of us with our phones, I couldn't get him off of his long enough to take a picture!

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say...

    Most blog addictions mom has are because I've sent her to the sites - Pioneer Woman being one of them.

    I do love her site though. She has some awesome photography advice and good recipes (albeit full of fat). Her ranch is in Oklahoma - it took me a little while to figure that out.

    I haven't read the Black Heels to Tractor Wheels series yet, but it's mostly because I look at the length of the posts and think, "I don't have that kind of time..." So it's good to know that I'm right.

    I think she was talking about turning it in to a book. She has a cookbook coming out soon (or is it already out?), so doing that as a book wouldn't be too difficult for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy’s right. We caught the Pioneer Woman bug from her. But it is so good!
    Nice job on the iPhone setup and planning to make the transition go well, but you have always been the go-to gal on everything phone related for years. I remember you getting both your Grandma, and her sisters phones all fixed for them even as a young child – can phone aptitude be considered a spiritual gift? Looks like you are following my example as the tech support in your family. If you ever need to step out of that role just get Brandon a Mac. Since we got your dad his Mac Book Pro he is totally self-reliant and loves not having to wait for my help on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete