Thursday, June 4, 2009

I'm really turning into a country wife

So, I have been out of the office for the past two days at job sites and running errands. In fact, yesterday things started to die down so I thought, I could maybe get a quick one in about what I've been doing the past few days. I sat down to the computer and wondered why everyone was saying, "see you tomorrow!" Turns out, it was 5:30--quitting time! Of course, I immediately shut down my computer and headed home to get started on my dinner plans!

So here is some of the stuff I was going to post about the past few days:

Softball Sized Hail
Dad, I know you're dying to know about the storms the other day. I mean, I'm pretty sure since I haven't called to tell you anything just terrible, things are ok, and the are! I was driving back from a job site we have northwest of Fort Worth (it's about a 3 hour drive straight through the country) and I knew I was up against storms. Thank the Lord for the people who created the iPhone and all of the very useful applications. I'm not kidding here, I have become so reliant on that little device! The GPS has gotten me out numerous times, and the weather is just so convenient to have right there whenever you need it, unless of course you are somewhere out in the country and you don't have cell phone service.

Every time I made it to a little town I would have just enough service to check the radar and keep myself updated. It was a beautiful show of lightning for most of the drive. I luckily missed the brunt of the storm because of my timing, but I got to watch it from a very short distance. I wish I could have had the opportunity to take pictures of the lightning, if I knew how the heck you do that and if I had my camera. But, unfortunately I don't have a clue how to, nor do I even have a camera with that type of capacity.. all I had was my trusty iPhone and I wasn't about to close out the radar, sorry guys.

So, as I was driving in town, watching the lightning strike the windmills (probably one of the coolest things ever), my dad called me. He wanted to ask how the storms were. Everyone knows my dad and his love for the weather, so I always know that if something were to get bad, I'd probably at least hear about it from him 350 miles away--he's always looking out for his kiddos! :) So he tells me that they are reporting softball sized hail! Softball sized hail? holy cow! I've played softball, and those things are huge when you think about it in the packed ice ball falling from the sky sort of way! At this time, I was about 45 minutes away and my only thought was, oh no! my poor little car!


When I made it back to the office, I was pleased to find that my car made it out unscathed. It turns out the storm snapped many power line poles in half in a town about 10 minutes from here. So what about the softball sized hail? It was in a town about 50-60 miles from here.. every single home there was damaged.. all 452 of them! So my little tahoe made it out ok this time!

New Office Furniture
Few of you have been in my office to see the little bit of renovation we've done as a result of me working here and taking over--funny how you can change your name, but the Kercheval mentality never leaves you.
So anyways, since December we've gotten new carpet (carpet tiles from Interface Flor--they are the only company I would recommend if you are considering tiles, and they do have a very cool residential line), new paint, and now we are slowly getting new furniture for the lobby. All we have ordered so far is one chair and one end table, we will be ordering two more chairs, another end table, and a coffee table. I went to Pier 1 yesterday to get some décor (please note the accent for effect) for the lobby because I am a member of their design concepts--their program for design trade members that gives you 20% off of everything, all the time. I grabbed some pillows, lamps, and accent pieces and came back to get a preview of what the lobby will look like when it's complete.

We still need artwork desperately, but rest assured that is being worked on as we speak. I will show you what it looks like when it's all completed!

..now on to the good stuff..

I took all of these pictures with my iPhone, just so you know.. but I needed proof!

Frying Chicken
I found a great recipe from my newest best friend, the Pioneer Woman and I decided to try it (go to her website for the actual recipe and for better pictures). I have never fried anything before, ever, but Brandon was thoroughly impressed.

I started by soaking the chicken tenderloins in buttermilk (that's right, I'm doing it the right way). ..and yes, that is an Angel Hair Spaghetti box in the background, don't judge me..

Then I rolled them in my seasoned flour

After that I put them in the skillet to fry!

Here's the finished product! Brandon was very impressed, apparently he loves homemade fried chicken, who woulda known?

Well, that's all for right now, I have more to write and more pictures, but I'll save that for another day!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,
    I’m so sorry I sent you into married life so ill equipped. It makes me feel like a failure as a proper Southern mama that I never taught you how to fry! Your dad can testify that I made a pretty mean fried chicken (yes using Buttermilk as well) and Grandma K’s chicken is world famous. You come from a long line of ‘fryers.’ We just all got heart-healthy before you were old enough to remember. You both can enjoy it now and maybe even for a few more years, but soon you will be trading in those recipes for the cookbook How To Eat Like A Southerner And Live To Tell The Tale by Courtney Parker. Great book and you might even remember some of food. That is where the grilled porkchops come from, plus the stories in the book are as good as the food and you know how much we love to read a good story.

    ReplyDelete