Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to School Blues

This summer has really flown by quick with all the weddings and trips we've taken, I can't believe it's already time for school to start up again. Thankfully, I'm done and don't have to go back, but it's weird that it's already this time of year again! Brandon and I are singing the "back to school blues" for other reasons than us having to go back to school, we're singing it for all the people going back to school. I think if we lived in a larger city, or even in a different part of town we may not notice it as much. Living "on the hill," as some native Abilenians say, opens your eyes to when school is in session and when it's not.

Abilene has three universities that welcome new and old students every fall. Living in a town with a population of about 115,000, you tend to notice the rapid increase of nearly 12,000 people in a matter of a week.

Last Saturday was move-in day for all incoming ACU freshmen. Somewhere around 1,000 people (I'm guessing) around the age of 18 are branching out and taking that giant leap into adulthood. It's weird to think I wont be walking around that campus and meeting all the new faces. In a matter of a couple of years, I will hardly even be able to recognize faces, much less know people's names. But enough thinking about college, really I'm just tired of the long lines at wal-mart and the hundreds of people walking around the track every night... and we aren't even half-way there in terms of the number of people that will be here this weekend!

With the back to school season comes the start up of YoungLife again from a 3 month hiatus due to the summer, and for that, I'm thrilled! I love the football/volleyball games, club, and most importantly, seeing all my lovlies' faces on a regular basis! To fight off the blues they were singing, I got a group of my girls (who are all juniors and DRIVING!!) to meet at Olive Garden on Tuesday night. It was such fun being together and hanging out before we all headed to the volleyball game to watch some of the others who couldn't come!


They are all bummed out that school is starting next week, but I'm SO excited for what this year holds! Tonight is the Eagle Extravaganza and Kirk is playing on varsity! Don't worry, there will be pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how weird that is to live in Abilene and not be going back to school right now! I think it would slightly depress me! But yay for YoungLife starting back! hope you girls have so much fun together!

    ReplyDelete