Monday, August 17, 2009

Metrocon and Deja Vu

Last week I went to Dallas for an interior design convention at the market hall. I was so excited that Rebecca was going to come with me, even though she works for a different firm. We had a blast catching up and walking around the convention as well as shopping at the best Dillard's in the WORLD!

We got to stay on the 24th floor of the Renaissance right there at Market and just had a blast! Sorry, no pictures.. I forgot to charge my camera battery.

Friday, I drove back to Abilene to come home and get ready for Minor and Lexi's rehearsal dinner. Brandon came and picked me up after the rehearsal and we were on our way! I think he really enjoyed me all dressed up in his favorite dress after not seeing me for two days!

On the way to the dinner, Brandon was telling me all about the rehearsal. I didn't know this, but Lexi grew up in the Episcopal church like I did, and her parents still attend there, so it was an Episcopal wedding. I almost lost it laughing at Brandon's stories about what they "had to do" in the rehearsal/wedding. He and all of the guys had never been in a wedding like that, so you can imagine how different that might have been for them!

The Episcopal church uses The Book of Common Prayer as the foundation and order for its services, and there are many different prayer such as the Nicene Creed and The Lord's Prayer that are said every week. Once you have gone to the Episcopal church for some time, you begin to memorize these different prayers and don't need to open the Book of Common Prayer when it comes time for them in the service. Brandon said at the rehearsal, when things like the Nicene Creed would come up, all of the girls in the wedding party (most of whom grew up in the Episcopal church) would be saying every word, and all of the guys would be standing there silently looking around at each other with weird looks on their faces. I was laughing so hard thinking that this was the first wedding, administered by a Priest, that Brandon had ever been to, and up until about 3 years ago, I had never been to one that wasn't.

The dinner was sweet, fun, and filled with all kinds of people! And even better, Perini's catered. YUM!

Saturday morning, Brandon and I woke up and the first thing Brandon said to me in the morning was, "what's with the peace thing?" I had no clue what he was talking about and then he said, "the Priest says something and then we were all like, (insert mocking voice here) peace, peace, peace, peace" He continued, "we had no idea what the heck we were supposed to be doing and so we started shaking each other's hand and saying peace!" I laughed and told him that was the Episcopal way of saying hi and introducing yourself to someone around you.

After going to watch some of my YL girls play volleyball, I ran around picking up all of the things Brandon needed for the night, including his tux. Poor thing, I go out of town for two days and he can't go get it himself..

When he had left and everything was fine with his tux, I called my parent's to tell them all about the stories he had said concerning the wedding at the Episcopal church, and we had a good laugh! I finished getting myself ready and headed to Abilene's social event of 2009. The interesting thing about where the wedding was is that it was the church my Grandparents were married in (not the same building) and it was the church where my grandfather's funeral was when I was in second grade (and the place I got the chicken pox). I hadn't been in there since then, so I was curious to see how much of it I remembered.

The Church of Heavenly Rest
*obviously, not my picture, once again.. the camera battery*

The minute we walked in and sat down, I could remember it. I even remembered where I had sat for the funeral. It's a beautiful church with Gothic architecture that makes it look as if it we hundreds of years old.

I only got one picture of Brandon and I (because of my camera battery) and it isn't even very good.. we're on the trolly headed over to the reception.


The wedding was beautiful and the Bride and Groom were nothing but glowing all evening! Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Alexander! We're so happy for you!

*and yes.. I stole this from facebook.. still the whole camera thing

2 comments:

  1. I like your dress (or blouse), it looks colorful and pretty.
    You guys are BUSY with weddings and such... quite the socialites there in Abilene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! it's a dress, you've seen it before.. I got it at banana when it was cold outside and everyone was in town at thanksgiving.. and yes, we are very much the socialites here, it's nuts!

    ReplyDelete