Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thanks, Christy!

My sister Christy has gotten into sewing lately and she is making some really cute things! For my birthday she sent me an apron that she had made and it's adorable! Last night I wore it for the first time while cooking dinner.

Thanks, Christy! I love it!

Now, on to what I was cooking.. Chicken Fajitas! This is such a good recipe, especially if the only way you've been making fajitas has been buying the pre-marinated chicken.

First, make sure you put on a college T-shirt to celebrate the first day of school that you don't have to go back.. and because all of your t-shirts now consist of college activities. Excuse our old cabinets that don't shut right.. it's a rental so we don't care.


Now, grab some bell peppers. The color is completely up to you, I happen to think that the flavor of the red bell pepper compliments the taste of the chicken perfectly. I add some green in there for more flavor and color, so it's really up to you.

Then cut up an onion. Make sure you cut it into long pieces, because that's what the Mexican restaurants do..

Once you've cut up your onion, place it and the bell peppers into a Zip-Lock bag.

Am I allowed to show you a picture of an actual Zip-Lock bag without their permission? oh, well, consider it free advertising. I like this kind of Zip-Lock because it's bigger on the bottom than it is on the top and it stands up better.

When you have the bell peppers and onion in the bag, it looks like a little Mexican flag. Put on your sombrero and dance around for a minute, then place your cut up chicken in the bag. I used breast tenderloins cut up into inch and half slices.

Now time to add some more ingredients.

First, soy sauce.

That's right, I said it. Soy sauce. You weren't expecting that? I promise it's great!

Now some lime juice.


And some chili powder.. (I'm a wimp when it comes to spice, but this is more flavor than anything)

Now, zip up the bag and shake, rattle, and roll all the stuff around to mix it really well.

Then let it sit for a few minutes. Sometime I use this time to make Homemade Guacamole, thanks to the recipe passed along from my sister. The guacamole is good, but it makes a mess (without a dishwasher) and I didn't want to have a Mexican food themed week trying to finish it, so this time I made some Lemonade.

After a few minutes, flip the bag over.

I know seeing that makes you thirsty...

Now, back to the cooking. Pour a little oil in a skillet and get it really hot, and I mean really hot. If the skillet isn't hot enough, the chicken will not brown correctly.

Once your skillet is hot enough, open up your bag and fish out some of the strips of chicken. Make sure you have an extra plate ready to put them on when they've cooked thoroughly.

You may have to do two batches of chicken depending on the amount you're cooking and the size of your skillet. There are only two of us, so I'm half-ing the recipe and using a smaller skillet.

After about a minute, flip the chicken over to cook the other side. If you're doing it correctly, it will smoke just a tiny bit and you will not realize it until you go into the other room, traditional Mexican food style.

Doesn't that look good?

When you've finished the chicken, remove it and place it aside for a few minutes. Add the rest of the contents of the bag to the skillet and get cook them until the vegetables start to become soft.

Once the vegetables have become tender, add the chicken back to the skillet and stir it all up. Turn off the heat and serve immediately.

I like to take the skillet to the table because it's still sizzling like at the restaurants.

I didn't take any pictures of the finished product because I was feeding a hungry man, but they were good.

The best thing you can do is to buy fresh tortillas, they make all the difference in the world.

Now for the recipe:

2 lbs. Chicken (cut up)
1/2 Medium Onion
1 Bell Pepper
1/8 cup Soy Sauce
1/8 cup Lime Juice
1 tsp Chili Powder

1. Cut up the onion and bell pepper and place in Zip-Lock with Chicken.
2. Add Soy Sauce, lime juice, and chili powder.
3. Mix well and let sit for up to 30 minutes.
4. Heat oil in skillet.
5. Cook chicken and remove from skillet.
6. Cook remaining vegetables until softend.
7. Return chicken to skillet.
8. Serve immediately.


I hope you enjoy the recipe!

3 comments:

  1. It looks really good on you! Glad it goes well with the country shabby chic thing you got going on.
    And actually, I have a second round of your birthday gifts to send. Nothing big or incredibly exciting, but I'm going to put it in the mail today or tomorrow.
    The fajita recipe is awesome, so people.... try it.
    PS - My next project (well, after one or two others I have in the hopper, and as long as none of my other friends get pregnant in the next few months) is to make a tshirt quilt. So, you might want to hold on to some of those shirts (like I have) and haul them around in a big plastic bin every time you move for the next seven years, and eventually make yourself one too. I'll let you know how it turns out and you can decide if you want one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute-and I'm loving that EOX shirt--I wish that would have been one of shirts while I was there! Your fajitas made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm... I was wanting that recipe. Thank you maam.

    ReplyDelete