Friday, September 11, 2009

A Rivalry That Can't Be Explained

High schools across America today all have rivalries when it comes to sports, and some of those are a little more intense than others. Being involved at Abilene High over the past year or so through YoungLife, I have been able to witness some of this on a different level than I ever thought existed.

The amount of school spirit campus wide blows me away. Everyone is at every sporting event, regardless of the sport, and they're cheering for the team! It's much different than just attending because it's the social thing to do. There is so much history wrapped around Abilene High that it is not just a high school thing, but a community pride. Every football game is just about sold out, and every pep-rally is packed with students, faculty, and parents.

And then there is Cooper High School.

Cooper is not as old as Abilene High, but it still goes way back. Every since it's inception, there has been a rivalry between the two. It seems like the entire town attends the game every year, and doesn't stop cheering the entire time.

The unexplainable part to me is that the two schools have so much rivalry, but if it came down to it, there is still respect on both sides. I thought I understood it my freshman year of college when a group of friends bought tickets and went to the game, but I didn't even graze the surface.

I don't know if I'll ever fully understand it, but it is fun to watch everyone and how much fun they have! This morning was the pep-rally to get ready for the game tonight and the theme was (and always is) Blackout Cooper.

I found them!

Cheerleaders getting ready!


Hey Kirk!



So much Pride!

Then the started turning out the lights one by one with a boom!

A little darker..


Almost completely black

All the kids had on glowsticks and they were dancing around. The cheerleaders did a pretty cool dance and some stunts too!

School Song

Some of the girls

And some more!

Max and Kirk!

2 comments:

  1. How FUN!! Makes me want to go back to high school all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you took some video of the glow. The pictures look so great!

    ReplyDelete