Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Whole New Game


I've been watching quite a bit of volleyball lately and I have noticed how different the sport is from when I played.. and I'm talking about Junior High. I was the starting setter that was about 4'-11" and 65 pounds that could barely serve it over the net.. underhand.

Growing up I watched a lot of volleyball because my sister played all the way through high school and even a little bit of intramurals at the Naval Academy, so the rules have always been a no brainer for me.

I played some sand volleyball here and there for fun over the summers in high school with a group of friends, but I have learned over the past month or so that my competitive spirit has not left. I get into the games and cheer on the team like I'm sitting on the bench... ok, maybe not that loud, but still.

One thing I had never heard of was the libero. For those of you who don't know, the libero is a designated back row player that wears a contrasting jersey and can sub in and out an unlimited number of times. When she subs, it's not a typical sub, in other words, it's not recorded. She cannot attack but she can basically play the entire game from the back row.

Talk about confusing the first time I saw it! I mean, the last time I played it wasn't rally scoring and you only played 2-3 matches!

Last night, the Eagles did an awesome job against Weatherford and won a tough fight in the last game!

You can see the libero, Danielle in the white jersey... in case you were wondering!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. Man, they look like a high school team in size.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete