Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Reason I've Given up on the Carwash

It has happened twice so far. I get my car washed because I'm obsessed with keeping it clean, and within 24 hours we have a storm headed our way threatening everything from rain, to hail, to even tornadoes. This would normally be fine if you kept your receipt because you would have the opportunity to have a 'rain check' and get it washed again. The only problem with that is, you get your 'rain check' wash when the forecast has no rain in sight, and then that night another storm blows through. I love storms, don't get me wrong I've grown up in Texas with storms all my life and they are wonderful, but I wish there was a way to keep my car clean through them.

On Monday, as a storm was rolling in, Brandon and I were about to get in bed when he remembered he needed a spiral and 1 AA battery. I looked at him like, are you serious? and then I said, "Are you serious? Why don't you wait until the morning and then go to Wal-Mart?" then he continued on about how he needed it so bad. So after a few minutes of him trying to convince me, the truth came out, he wanted to go drive around in the puddles to wash off his truck. Funny how his thinking is the direct opposite of mine, I want to avoid driving in the rain at all cost to prevent all of the dirt from the road being thrown up onto the car.

So we went driving around in the puddles, and yes, we did go to wal-mart to get his spiral and AA battery. When we got back, his truck did look surprisingly clean considering the 4 inch coat of mud it had on it.

Well, for the past few days it has rained either in the evening or late afternoon which is pretty standard. So, yesterday I was on my way home from work after a pretty good rain, but nothing really extreme, and I thought I would take some pictures of what it's like when it rains in West Texas in a city without storm drains.

Notice the street to the right looks like a raging river.


This one is a little blurry, but I thought it was cool because you could see the water spashing up from my tires. I was having a blast soaking other cars coming the other way because I was bigger. I was seriously laughing out loud by myself.. does that make me weird?

This one is also a little blurry, you have to remeber that I was driving during all of this.. I wanted you to see the red water from all of the red dirt.

And this is what I came home to. Poor, poor, pitiful Bridger. See the dog house in the upper left corner? Yeah, she was on top of it instead of inside of it when I got home. She was completely soaked, shaking, and crying while I was opening her kennel. I wish I would have gotten a video of it for you to watch because it was so pitiful and so cute.

I hope you have enjoyed the fun I get to experience when I drive around here in the rain!! TODAY IS BRANDON'S BIRTHDAY!! We're having cake and ice cream tonight, so I will take some pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Brandon!

    Also, was Bridger on top to escape the flood, or was she just trying to make the best of a bad situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran about 3/4 mile at 50mph with the trailer and a wall of water covering 1/2 of the street on the central expressway feeder. The water was 10' high as I passed entrances with cars waiting to get out. I watched in the side mirror as it hit their windshield. It must have been a sight to see me coming.
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty ridiculous looking. Why are they so against storm drains?
    Or did they just not think of that when they built the city?

    Mmmm. Cake and Ice Cream. I just texted you - I don' even have Brandon's cell phone number, so tell him happy birthday from us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, well, bridger just loves to get on top of the dog house, and we're not sure why.. she sleeps on it for some reason, and I have actually only seen her go in it once. Brandon said one time when he got home and it was storming really bad, she was inside of it.

    and no Christy, I don't think they thought of it when they built the city. We don't get too much rain here, so they just assumed it would all soak up really fast. It does that pretty quickly though, I'd say within an hour or so, but when it rains we always get a pretty good flood.

    ReplyDelete