Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One of the Most Rewarding Things

One of the most rewarding things for me is walking into a building under construction and seeing something I've drawn up come to life.

Take this one for instance, this is the West Texas Rehab's Board Room. Not much right now, I know but give it 2 months (because it has to be done before Thanksgiving) and it will be completed and my drawings will no longer be drawings, but rather a permanent (until they change it again) representation of the long hours put into the design and drafting.

Just last week, those drawings were just drawings.

And now look at it!

When I was there, I noticed some original paint on the walls from when the building was a pharmacy, doctor's offices, and...

A Soda Fountain! I wonder if my Grandmother ever went in this building when it still served that purpose. Did you Grandma? Does it look familiar? It's on the South Side of town.

Anyways, back to my topic. There is just something about designing a space, drawing it up, and seeing it in real life. That is probably the best thing about it because I get to say it's mine, I did that. When I was in school I got to design all kinds of things from hair salons, to grocery stores, to homes, even handicapped accessible homes, but this is different, this is real. It always makes me stop and think, they really trust me to do this enough to spend the money.. WOW!

This is another example. Yesterday I went up to Sweetwater to check on a number of projects we have going up there. While I was there, I stopped in to the Elementary School to take a look at the progress.
This is one of the classrooms. The colors fade out to white the further in you get from the door, and you can see the wall tile in the hallway was not left out!

This is the library and most definitely my favorite part. Once all of the construction is finished, I will be sure to have better pictures taken, but I wanted to give you a teaser.

I hope this feeling never goes away, as long as I'm doing Interior Design. I hope I always arrive at a job and say "WOW! I did that!"

4 comments:

  1. Not bad Kelly Olson...errr....Candice Mann..errr....Kelly Kerc...Mann

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to make a similar comment to what Dad said. You just need to take a photo of the rendering, go to the exact same spot in real life, and take a photo (you know, like on Divine Design).
    Looks great. And that's cool about the soda fountain. How funny if Grandma ever went there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had tried to comment but it would not take with my e-mail address. No, I never worked at that particular soda fountain. I worked at practically all the soda fountains on the north side of Abilene. Central Drug in the Alexaander Building, northwest corner of First and Pine, drug store on the east side of Pine between 1st and 2nd. Walgreens 3rd and Pine, WootenHotel, Post Office Phcy. on 4th and Pine. Realize that was from the time I was 11 or 12 until I was a sophmore in college. Someone would offer a dollar more a week or better hours and you went where the money was. Brings back lots of memories to think of all those places that are there no more. Love Grandma C. (didn't mean to write a book)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colored tiles on those floors!! That must be so rewarding to see all of those projects come to life--you are such a good designer!

    ReplyDelete