Monday, September 21, 2009

FYI - This Isn't The Bash-Mobile

This weekend I ended up going to Dallas to go over some things for some space planning I'm doing for my mom's office. It was great to see my mom and visit for a while!

When she had to be at work, I was glad that two of my favorite people came to join me! Kevan and Katie are my best friends. I have known both of them since Freshman year of college and I just love them so much! They were married in May and I was happy to be in the wedding.

So Saturday morning I got up early and headed out of town. I met my mom at her office and we hung out and worked on the space planning. Later, Kevan and Katie made it into town and we met them at the North Park Mall for some much needed shopping.

After spending some time there, we headed over to my Aunt and Uncle's house to drop off a car before more shopping and dinner.

We were on our way to Irving to go to a specific Dillard's our navigator Kevan was not very clear so we took away his duties. Thank God for iPhones!

I promise this is totally safe..

Meet Katie. She's amazing and I love her.

Meet Kevan. This is Katie's husband and my friend. He's silly.

And look who else came! This is Baron, he's a friend too and was one of Kevan's roommates in college. Baron lives in Dallas now so we thought we'd spend some time with him too!

We had a good dinner at Saltgrass and then headed over to see Baron's new apartment. Later we all ended up back at my Aunt and Uncle's house to hang out.

Sunday we had to finish the trip with more good food so we chose none other than Pappasito's. Mmmmm...

I don't think Kevan knew I took this picture of him reading the menu, but it is a much more normal picture of him than the last one.

I love you Katie!

Then I started to kill time while we waited on Baron to meet us so I was taking pictures of everything.

Doesn't that look so good?

Baron finally made it and we had a good time. This is a much more normal picture of the two of them together.

It was so much fun getting to see friends and just hang out. I hope that we get to do it again real soon!

On the way back home, I stopped in Weatherford because I had time, and they had a Ross so I figured they would probably have a different selection than the one in Abilene. After going to Ross, I was waiting at the light to turn onto I-20 when the woman behind me reached for her lipstick and rear-ended me. Not cool. Luckily for me, she had been at a stop so I wasn't jolted hard or anything, but unluckily for her, it's not going to be cheap even though the damage isn't that bad. I called the police to get a police report on file, and I was glad I did because she didn't have her license or a valid insurance card. I want to believe that she is a good person, but with my previous experiences I know you can't trust a stranger, no matter how nice they seem.

We had just finished exchanging information when the police officer pulled up and I was VERY dissappointed with him. He didn't ask to see either of our driver's licenses or insurance (two tickets she would have had) and he told me that he couldn't file a police report because it wouldn't make any difference. Now, I mean c'mon. Isn't that part of the job when called to an accident? At least check to make sure the drivers have valid drivers licenses... They apparently do things a little different in Weatherford.

I got the police officer's information and the "call number" that shows I called it in, so hopefully that will be enough.

I've been battling back and forth with myself on what to do about my bumper. The damage is not that bad. If I had to describe it I would say it was more like deep gouges and scratches, but not dents. My biggest concern is that my parking sensor right there might have been damaged, I doubt it, but I haven't been able to test it because it would require someone putting their hand in front of it while I have it in reverse and I just haven't had the time. I'm not out to make her pay a ton of money. Had is been my old car that I dubbed the "Bash-Mobile" because of the dents it had, I wouldn't have cared, but I've only had the car for 7 months and I haven't done anything to it. The problem is the only way to fix a bumper is to replace it--and that's expensive.


I told you it wasn't bad. Part of me feels like I'm being a little ridiculous, but I know it's there and it's going to drive me crazy. I've come to the conclusion that this is just an example of why we have insurance so I'm going to get it fixed.

In lighter news, as I was getting close to Abilene, I was watching a good sized storm off to my southwest and I started to notice some cool things the with the sun and the clouds so I had to capture it.

I love the way the sun made a hole in the clouds!

Then a few minutes later it got even better!

There was something about those "God Beams" that I had to capture. They are just beautiful! I felt like I was watching a scene from one of those Bible movies where they show God talking but they just show the sky with a deep voice.

All in all it was a good weekend and I'm so glad I was able to see some friends!

3 comments:

  1. Definitely make sure to get that fixed, your resale/trade-in value has been hurt because of this accident, even if it gets fixed, but less so with the repair. Also, I would call the police department that officer worked for and complain about his performance. That's just unacceptable, and he should be corrected. Don't feel bad about it, it's not causing trouble, it's protecting yourself, plus every other person who might have to deal with him in the future, from his incompetence.

    Also, the good news about your sensor is that it's probably ok, unless it's completely dead. Many times when they are hit like that they see the bumper itself and so constantly give you the too close alarm when you shift into reverse. The bad news is that it'll likely not work properly even if it is ok, because it's aimed a little off now, so don't trust that sensor even if the hand test works.

    Glad to hear you are ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photos. I assume you did get a new camera then?

    I agree. Just get it fixed. In LA it's kind of a hard thing though - you just have to deal with your car being a "city car" because if you park on the street or at a meter it is not uncommon to come back and find people have "tap" parallel parked and bumped your bumper all up. It's frustrating. But since you don't live in the city, I don't think you should have to deem your car a "city car."

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I would be just like you--I'm all about justice and making things fair, and that police obviously didn't feel like working too hard! I would file a complaint against him if you have his department number and informtion. And I think you should get it fixed for resale value--but that's just my opinion!

    ReplyDelete