Monday, November 16, 2009

Can You Guess?

Can you guess where we were on Friday? I'll give you a hint... it involved football.

Any guesses?

No?

OK, well here are some more hints:

There were a whole lot of these...

a ton of this...

a handful of these...

Any guesses yet?

no?

OK, maybe this next clue will help you...

a pair of these... and they were MASSIVE!

Have you guessed yet?

Hopefully!

Did you guess this?

That's Right! The new Cowboys' Stadium!

So now that you know, I'll tell you the story, and show you all of the pictures! (WARNING! This post contains a high volume of pictures. Proceed at your own risk).

Friday night, Abilene High played their first play off game in the new Cowboys' Stadium. Can you believe they sold over 20,000 tickets on the Abilene side alone? That makes over a fifth of the city! and you have to factor in that Cooper and Wylie both had playoff games this weekend as well! Leave it to Abilene to show everyone else how it's done! I wasn't kidding when I said before that West Texas football is in a whole other league, and I LOVE it!

We left right after lunch and headed to the stadium. We were not the first ones to get there either, by far... and we showed up about 2 hours before game time. So after we waited in line to get in we headed to save seats (we were saving 19, so you can imagine how difficult that would have been if we were any later). Using every piece of removable clothing and accessories we had (i.e. purses, jackets, our own bodies...) we managed to block off enough seats on 3 rows. And this was our view.



Not bad for $8, but then again all of the tickets were $8 if you bought them in advance!

Then we saw Kirk! Yes, I know they're just stretching.. It was so nice of him to wear my initial and last name on his jersey wasn't it? Good thing I was wearing the shirt I had made that matched!






a little warming up..

When I was sure that our seats were not going to be taken, I headed on over to see the girls!


They love me!


But really, they were all so excited to be there!






...and they were excited about gummy life savers


Then I saw the Senior Girls!

Next was the Alma Mater

You can't even fathom how big this screen is..









a lot of family came to the game (hence the 19 seats we saved) and I got to sit behind sweet Abby.


She had specifically saved that sucker from being thrown away to bring to this game. She even made her dad hid it in his boot to get past security! This was when she had finished it, which I'm sure you can tell by the blue tongue and sticky fingers!


either a sugar-high, or just happy to be there.. which one?


I think the sugar had something to do with it...


This is the face Carson gives me just about every time I say his name..


...and this is one of the many reasons why I love him!


Grant must have stolen some of Abby's other candy she and her brother smuggled in..

It was such a good game, not because Abilene High won, but because this screen put a whole new perspective (quite literally) on the game. It was cool to be able to see their faces as they were getting lined up and everything. Most of the time, I found myself watching the screen because of just how BIG it was! ...and between plays, they would video people in the stands much like at a professional game. You should have seen what people did when they were on camera!


Here's Kirk (he's on the bottom left). There were a couple of times that he was up close on the screen, but I kept missing it with the camera..


This one was pretty funny. You remember the senior girls from above? Well, they were on the screen cheering and waving their "rally rags" around when Hannah (the blonde on the right) smacked Molly (the brunette holding her forehead) right in the head! I was so glad that I got this picture, and don't worry, I've put it on facebook and tagged them in it!


It was SO BIG!




such cool views too!


afterwards, the team got together to take a picture on the field


and sing the school song!


then I ran into Ellen and Drew!


and finally, we took a group picture--minus my husband who had wandered off somewhere! ...and those people on the bottom of the screen who I couldn't crop out.


Cowboys' Stadium, it was real. Thanks for providing me with a cushioned seat and a $5 Dr. Pepper. I hope to see you again soon!

So next week we're headed to Midland for the next game on Saturday! Wish us (well them) luck! Stay tuned for Kirk's view of the stadium tomorrow--I gave him my other camera to take some pictures and while he didn't get as many as me (I mean, I guess that's ok, he did have a game to play) he got some from behind the scenes!

1 comment:

  1. The stadium seems really cool. It must have been surreal for them to see themselves on the BIG SCREEN.

    PS - I like this layout better. Much more streamlined.

    ReplyDelete