Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Call Me a Slacker...

because it's Tuesday afternoon and I still haven't posted anything about the state football game! I mean, I know that the majority of the people who read this actually watched the game on TV, but I still feel like I should properly finish out the football season with this post!

In case you haven't heard, Abilene High WON!! They are the Texas 5A Division II State Champions! This hasn't been accomplished by the school in 53 years. Here's a little history about the game, just to let you in...

Katy (the opponent) has won the past 2 years straight, so this weekend they were going for their 3rd consecutive win. The only 5A team to have ever won state 3 consecutive years was Abilene High in '54, '55, & '56 --the last time they won a state title. So this year, after a 53-year hiatus, Abilene High was able to defend their streak and knock Katy out!

Have I lost you yet?

An estimated 43,000 people packed the lower two levels of the Alamo Dome on Saturday night to watch Abilene High vs. Katy. It was quite possibly one of the best football games I've ever watched, and I don't think I've EVER been that into a game! The city of Abilene (only slightly exaggerating) stood on their feet the entire time screaming and cheering for their team.

I think the cheering could have been heard for miles when, in the second play of the game, quarterback Ronnell Sims broke free and scored a touchdown within the first 29 seconds. From that moment on, Abilene kept their lead, though there were times when the score was a lot closer than what we wanted!

I'll just let the pictures do the talking now... there sure are a lot of them!

Friday night after the pep-rally, Lindsay and I ventured out to find the last remaining bottles of glass chalk to write on the windows, and thankfully we found it!



I'm not really sure why, other than the fact that they thought it was funny, but Kirk and his friend Max have been saying "shred the gnar" all season so we had to incorporate it.

In case you weren't sure who we were supporting, we made sure you could see it from 5 miles back...

When we arrived in San Antonio, we went to lunch at Chris Madrid's and then headed to the hotel. Once we were all checked in, the girls went shopping and the guys went to the stadium to watch the Trinity/Westlake game (the Division I state final). When we had finally had enough, we decided to head towards the stadium. This is what we found in the lobby:


Obviously, some of Kirk's friends...

Lindsay is sporting her free Rally Towel that says "Take State!"

Out comes the team and the cheering begins

Look at this little precious face getting ready for the game to start! Her name is Lilly and she's been to the majority of the games.

Here she is saying "GO EAGLES!" and I wish you could hear it with her little voice!

This is where I stopped taking pictures because I was too into the game... but thankfully I remembered I had a camera on me for the last play of the game, the Victory Stance -- taking a knee!


final score -- Abilene High 28, Katy 17

All of the players were so excited, most of them were crying! If you look at the top right corner at the (not so) jumbo-tron, you'll see Boo Barrientes getting his trophy for defensive player of the game.

and here you have Ronnell getting his trophy for offensive player of the game. In case you weren't sure, he's the quarterback and had 3 touchdowns and rushed for over 200 yards.

The whole team around the State Trophy and holding the state banner that will go up in the gym.

Taking a picture

...and last, but not least! Our Kirk-y with his medal, so glad to be home and so glad to be a champion!

Now, if he can only wait for his State ring...

No comments:

Post a Comment