Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Sad Day for the Finch Family

You may remember a while back when I posted about Mr. and Mrs. Finch and their nest in our kitchen window. Well those little guys did as nature instructed them to do and procreated. We had three little bitty eggs that were nurtured and cared for, probably by Mrs. Finch, Mr. Finch was probably out with his buddies. They grew and hatched into 3 lovely little bald baby birds!

For the past week or so, I have been listening to them chirp and I've loved it. Brandon thought it would be annoying to have them 'screaming' for food all the time, but I happen to like it. They are not loud by any means, and they only get excited when they know mom or dad is close by with a delectable worm or bug, and even then it's a sweet little cry, much like a new born baby--how could you get upset about that? From our side of the window it is very hard to see because, well, it's the back of the nest. But Mr. and Mrs. Finch left me a little peep-hole in which I check on the babies everyday.

Yesterday at lunch, I was walking on the sidewalk going back to our stairs and something caught my eye. It was one of the little babies, let's name him Paul, dried to a crisp on the pavement. Poor little Paul must have gotten a little too adventurous and fell out of the nest (either that or I will have to have a talk with the parents). I was sad. Sad because at that time, I actually didn't know how many babies were in the nest because they were so small that I couldn't see them. I rushed upstairs to see if there were any survivors and I got the best glimpse of the remaining two (Charlotte and Ben--although I don't know the gender of any of them) I had ever seen.

After work, I grabbed my camera and tried to get some shots of these little ones, but actually the video is a little bit better because of the focus. I've never put a video on here before, so I hope it works out! Also, sorry there is no sound.. I tried to be quiet so maybe you could hear their chirping, but I don't think that worked (I told you they weren't loud)!




Charlotte and Ben

I wish you could see them, in person because it is so hard to get a good picture of them.. Their heads are about the size of a nickel, maybe, just to give you a perspective!


1 comment:

  1. Kelly!! I'm so glad to know that you have a blog! I'm going to add you to my list so I can keep up with you and Brandon! I don't think it's creepy at all that you like to check our tummies out--the whole thing has been really interesting for me and Elliott! Hope you and Brandon are doing well-please tell him hi for me!

    ReplyDelete